12.30.2005

Almost Shattered Christmas

Christmas started out like no other Christmas before. We planned to leave for SoCal at four in the AM because Farah's boss wanted to keep the restaurant open until the regular closing time, 2AM--what could we do--but it later dawned on him that people don't come in for Chinese food at one in the morning on Christmas Eve! Gee, I didn't see that coming! So the plan was for Farah to hitch a ride home from a co-worker after work because I needed all the sleep I could get before driving in the wee hours of the morning. Farah was to shower up and do all that a girl needs to do to get ready for a trip, and in the meantime, I would wake up at around 3:30 to pack up the car so we could leave by four o'clock. But we had a minor complication. The restaurant closed early--no surprise there--and Farah came home at 2:00. The co-worker who was kind enough to drop her off turned to Farah and instead of wishing her a Merry Christmas as Farah stepped out of the car, she said, "Oh, no! Farah, your car window is broken!"

Shit!


Our box on wheels did not even stand a chance parked out in front of our house beneath the crow-infested, now leafless trees. Some A-hole decided that it would be a good idea to bust out our window to wish us a Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas to you, too, buddy! It almost would have been better if this person actually stole something from the car, that way, it would have been almost justifiable, as if there was a motive besides just breaking glass. (By the way, there was nothing inside of the car anyway, well, unless you want to count a 24-pack of Aquafina) But no, the doors were not even unlocked. Somebody just wanted to break a window and continue on their way to having a jolly holiday. And to this person, there are only two words that I'd like to say to you and they are not thank you.

With three hours of sleep and a window that fell to the ground when I opened the door, our trip to SoCal wasn't looking like it was going to happen. So what do you do when it's now three o'clock in the morning on Christmas Day and you have a busted-out window and are supposed to be leaving for a 400 mile drive in just one hour? The answer is: after scratching your head and kicking yourself in the pants for not having duct tape in your toolbox, you call your nearest, most reliable friend.

Dan, how can we ever thank you? Dan was equipped with what we were not--cardboard and packing tape. And Dan was kind enough to not just lend us the supplies but to actually come over and help us put together a make-shift window, all this, I remind you, at three o'clock in the morning on Christmas day. This, ladies and gentlemen, is friendship.

Despite the frustration and inconvenience of the situation, we didn't want to let the actions of some jackass to ruin our Christmas; with just three hours of sleep, a one hour delay and a damn good window made of cardboard and tape, we decided to go for it. We left at 5:10 and in record time found ourselves on my grandparent's porch only five hours and twenty minutes later. And thanks to Dan for all of his help, we were able to go down south after all.

6 Comments:

At 30.12.05, Blogger Ryan articulated...

Maybe you can publish this account and have it read at Christmas time. :) I know it was crazy. It was good to be together for Christmas though. Thanks for traveling still.

 
At 31.12.05, Blogger Eric articulated...

Hey Cory,

I was sorry to hear about the window. I hope it's all straightened out soon.

Great photos! I continue to be really impressed with your photographic talents. Have you considered pursuing professional photography work? You've got the talent for it.

It was good to see you guys, brief as it was. Have a great New Year!

 
At 2.1.06, Anonymous Anonymous articulated...

Happy New year!!! Finally the New Year has came, there were too many bad things happened too me last year!! Sorry about your car, think about the good side, at least no one gets hurt.

Going back to Taiwan has to be delayed, the INS wants to interview me first!!

I got a new digital camera last month, now Josh and I are taking pictures like crazy. Hope one day we will be as good as you are!!

Take care in CA!!

 
At 5.1.06, Blogger coryandfarah articulated...

RL: It was totally worth the trip. And thankfully this plight only cost us one Franklin!!

Eric: You are too nice! If I could do something with photography that would be awesome but I have a long way to go before that happens...

Dude, we should go to Vegas!

Lan: It's nice to hear from you! And yes, all that matters is that we were not hurt! Sounds familiar, huh? I remember writing the same thing to you not so long ago when you told me about your car crash... not to bring up the painful memories of the past though... :) Hey, I'm sorry to hear that the INS is giving you a hard time but I am not the least bit surprised, knowing first-hand how tough it is to deal with Immigration. When do you think you might go to Taiwan then? Hopefully you'll be able to get your interview out of the way soon!!

What camera did you buy? Sounds fun! Will you be posting any of your pics online?

 
At 24.6.21, Blogger Delight Car Removal articulated...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for junk cars
cash for old cars

 
At 24.6.21, Blogger Metalbiz articulated...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
scrap metal bins
scrap metal logan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home